After 8 years at my job, my position was eliminated. It was a shock, but looking back it probably shouldn’t have been.
The first thing I did after I found out was throw-up. I I know, I know, it’s so trite. Like, could I be any more Sartre?
Then, I made a mix on my iPhone to help me prepare for walking out my door.
I’m a big fan of music mixes, because I like to have a soundtrack wherever I go that will capture the mood I want to portray.
So, for example, before a big comedy show I have “Get Ready” which is a bunch of cocky rap mixes and up-beat dance songs that I find impossible not to get pumped up listening to.
When I want to stomp around the city like I own the place I have a mix called “Fierce Bitches” which is all music by females about being fucking awesome.
The layoff mix is entitled “WTF”, because that was the best I could come up with in that moment. Looking at these songs though I think it captures my moods better than me being super sappy and writing on and on about the blow-by-blow of the day. And, because I want to be hip like Pitch Fork, here are the youtube videos I found so you can recreate my list at home.
1. The Absence of God by Rilo Kiley
Beautiful by Carol King
3. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich by Lady Gaga
4. Black Cadillacs by Modest Mouse
5. Bloody Murder by Cursive
6. Nosebleed by Illinois (aka the Brick dance http://youtu.be/qtlElBLg354)
7. Not About Love by Fiona Apple
8. Nothing Better by The Postal Service
9. NYC by Interpol
10. Evaporated by Ben Folds Five
11. Selfless, Cold and Composed by Ben Folds Five
12. Three Little Birds by Bob Marley and the Wailers
13. Where Would I Be? By Cake
14. Let Me Go by Cake
15. Walk On By by Cake
16. It’s Too Late by Carol King
17. Will You Love Me Tomorrow by Carol King
18. Song for the Dumped by Ben Folds Five
I feel like this song lists begs the question. Did I get laid off from a job, or dumped from a bad relationship?
There’s mourning, optimism, bitterness, disbelief, anger, acceptance and just a little bit of dance party all up in this list.
And that's the best way to describe being laid-off right now.